Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Getting Started

The participants didn't know where we were or what time we were starting.  That's just a small detail... lol!

We saw a small town in action and by 9am everyone arrived who would be coming for the day.  Someone, somewhere in Rankin was able to direct them to the right spot.  We expected 16 and saw 14.  We heard that 2 individuals may have faced travel issues because one of First Air's jets needed repair up north and everything got bumped around.  No one knew if they might show up late or if they may not come at all.  I imagine I will see them tomorrow if they are coming.

Today was our chance to get to know the communities.  Most of our morning was filled with discussion about the infrastructure, issues and trends that influenced their roles within the community.  We spent the afternoon introducing solid waste concepts and good landfill practices.

My insights from the morning's discussion:
  • Concern for the issues and community involvement in finding solutions is alive in many small communities.  Cambridge Bay was facing public concern over a very large and unsightly dump site.  They accomplished change with the help of many volunteer hours from their community members.  People came out to build, clean and support any way they could. 
  • In a northern environment it is very challenging to do all the 'right' things.  Landfill cover is a good example.  Sometimes good cover (crushed rock, soil) is not available and needs to be made by crushing rock.  This solution is too costly for some communities to bear.
  • Polar bear control is an issue.  The bears are attracted to the landfill sites.  It's illegal and dangerous for them to feed at the landfill.  Fencing is not effective to stop them.  Some communities are burning landfill waste in an effort to deter the bears.  Not the best situation, but better than the alternative.
  • Historical problems are difficult to solve... some communities have commercial or industrial waste onsite that was received in the past with no way to identify it.
  • Many landfills are uncontrolled.
We hopped on a school bus at 3pm and headed out to Rankin's dump site for a tour.  The tour went quickly enough that Arnie included a tour of town for everyone.  It was well appreciated, and a first for some.  The tour was a bit of a challenge... the windows kept frosting up so it was tough to see out.  The guys pulled cards out of their wallets and used them to clean the windows every few minutes... where there is a will, there is a way.

One of the fellows promised me he would teach me to sea kayak... I would love to do it!  I said I heard you couldn't go out until you learned to do a roll... he asked, you mean an 'eskimo roll'?  He laughed and said, no, you don't want to do that if you don't have to...  I knew there was something off about the thought as soon as it came out of my mouth... I can't imagine anyone would want to get wet out here.  Another fellow let me know that you would end up rolling if you were too stiff -- but if you kept a flexible body, you wouldn't have trouble.  My 'teacher' takes his kayak out hunting.  He says he hunts seal, bow whale and even polar bear...  I asked him how he would get a polar bear home on his kayak.  He said he would work day and night...  I assume that means many trips?  I think I'll ask him more about that tomorrow...

Arnie said the biggest polar bears live out on the ice.  They wander around the edge of the flow where they can find seal and they rarely come in to land.

I was reading the paper up here today.  Roald Amundsen, an early northern explorer, credited his time in Gjoa Haven for giving him the skills to make it through the Northwest Passage.  The more chances I get to chat, the more I realize that there is a true 'art' required to embrace life in these northern communities.  The fellow from Gjoa Haven spoke of their seasons as -- the 'light' and 'dark' season.  When he mentioned that we were heading into the time of 'light' his face lit up in a way that expressed true joy.

Jim took some pictures today, I'll post them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment